Dot, Jason & I stayed over at Hotel Europa for a day in frankfurt. It was one of the cheapest hotel we had. 17.5 Eur! Of course we couldnt expect much.. The hotel was cramped with 3 beds and the toilet was small. I hit myself against the wall several times. I guess Jason did too! heh..
The buffet breakfast was satisfising although Jason complained that he was sicked of bread.. Hard hard bread. Nevertheless, Dot & I enjoyed the breakfast. Bread is my favourite! The Germans usually have cold meat, yoghurt and cheese, together with bread for breakfast. And I made mine into a sandwich! The yoghurt looked spoilt & thus I didnt touch it at all! Milk is equally good with sandwich. ;)
P/s: can you see us on the kettle jar?
As we had nothing to do, we decided to explore the near-by shops in Bingen. Ultimately, we were lured into a dessert cafe selling ice-cream. Ended up sharing a huge ice-cream sundae with Dot. We couldnt finish and the next best person (or rubbish bin) we can find is.. JASON! Hahahahah.. *evil laughs*
Look! How romantic! ;)
We indulged in a chair lift up the mountains to catch the breath-taking view of part of the Rhine River. It was quite a unique experience as it seemed rather unstable, especially when the strong wind started to blow. Even our caps almost flew off with the wind. Luckily we caught hold of it in time! We had a bag of pototo chips while on the way up, a 20 mins ride. haha.. Dot & I never leave without food. What a way to enjoy the views! ;p
We reached the end of the chair lift and explored the area. We were told that the cafe at the other corner of the top had a very good view of the River Rhine. We selected the best seats and sat for a while. It was after a while when a waitress walked over to ask for our orders. Being pressurised, we had no choice but to order an apple pie with ice-cream. Much to our disappointment, the apple pie tasted like it had been left in the cold for a long time and then heated up in the microwave oven again. It was the worst apple pie I had ever eaten. Even Ling can make a much better one, I'm sure!
The view down was even nicer.. We could see Boppard extending along the Rhine River, with the houses cluttered near the river bank.
Hmm not the photo above, of course, but the one below..
Alright, this was our 3rd rush hour! This was the worst. Once we reached the bottom of the mountain, we only had a few minutes to get to the boarding area. We definitely took more than that when we were walking to the chair lift counter. Gosh! Somehow, our track & field lady came out with the idea that we have to run.. with our heavy backpacks. Jason sent Dot to run and stop the cruise. Jason & I tried hard to catch up. It was really funny because Jason was hugging a large yellow shopping bag with apples, some biscuits and 3 books in it. And he hung it with a carrabina infront of his chest. THe sight of him was really comical. We ran along on the walkway along the banks of the river as we could see the cruise parked at the harbour already. There were old couples sitted on the benches, admiring the beautiful scenery and suddenly 3 of us ran across, intruding their peace and serenity. I could see some of them smiling to themselves when they saw us. Embarassing!
Halfway through, Dot turned around screaming: "That is not the cruise!" I guessed she realised we saw the wrong one. So we had ran for nothing. But this is not the issue. The strangest thing was that she continued to run although she realized that the cruise was not there yet..
Al last, we were on our journey to Koblenz. It was a long and tiring day and we couldnt wait to rest at our hotel.
An asian cafeteria named DING DONG caught our sight and soon we found ourselves inside. We were totally smittened by the word "BUFFET" stated at the main entrance. The buffet style was a little different from the ones in Singapore. You can choose between a small plate (4+ Euros) or a big plate (5+ Euros) and then fill it up with the variety of food offered. The selection were great! They had fried rice, mee goreng, fried noodles as the main dish. There was a fried food section, curry and vegetables. We decided to choose the smallest plate. Being Singaporeans, we didnt hesitate to fill our plates till we see a mountain! Dot, of course, has the tallest mountain. Jason & I fight for the second place. Dinner was really satisfising. ;)
After a stroll, we went back to our hotel for a rest. We decided to go shopping the next day as the streets looked like a great shopping area! (poor Jason... haha) Dot jumped into bed immediately when she reached the hotel. I had to remove her waist pouch and cap while she was semi-concious. We termed this phenomenon "hang-over"! I discussed the itinerary with Jason before turing in that night..
***
Breakfast was the same as the one we had in the previous hotel - bread, hard-boiled egg, cheese & ham, yoghurt, milk and juices. Nevertheless, we still eat to our heart's content since it's buffet! haha.. But Jason, who was quite sick of bread didnt eat much. It was weird that the girls were eating more than the guy. Feel so piggy!
After breakfast, we went shopping in the streets. Probably if I were with my parents or King, I would have shop like crazy! Being with Dot and Jason made me think twice before I buy. It was great! I got some good deals. Bought a top and a belt at only 2.5 Euros each! That would be only S$ 5 each. haha..
Left our bags in the lockers of the train station before moving on to Festang Ehrenbreitstein. It is a castle located on the opposite side of River Rhine. So we had to take a bus over. The castle looked rather eerie actually. Along the way through the tunnel, I though a frankenstein will jump out at me any time. I kept rather quiet, tailing Dot and Jason closely. Heh!
Finally, we were on the train again moving on to our next destination: Cologne! It was getting late and the train ride was 3 hours long. By the time we reach Cologne, it would be almost midnight. We started searching on the map for the directions to STAR AM Dom hotel. That is when we realised that the check in time is only from 8am to 8pm. We started to panick! What if we have no shelter for the night? What if they auotmatically deduct money from Jason's credit card even though we didnt stay? Many what ifs... Jason couldnt get through the line of the hotel, and that made us even more worried. The receptionist must have gone home! Fortunately, my line went through and someone answered my call. The other party sounded very polite and friendly. She said they are open 24hrs! *Relief*
The streets of Cologne was rather dirty probably due to the construction beside the train station. It was late at night and there were still someone working at the construction. Strange.. I guess this was the first time I see Germans end work that late. Shops usually close at 6pm!
We were greeted by the a young & pretty receptionist. Friendly & polite, the exact same voice as the one on the phone earlier! But we were happier when we notice how nice the hotel was. Much much much.. better that the ones earlier. We could wait to see our room! The room was simple and nice. My favourite colour orange, too! I was the first to bathe. And guess what?? The toilet has a huge see-through window with no curtains. The same as the one behind Dot in the picture! Directly opposite us is another hotel with big windows too! I started to wonder if Germans are that "open"! I had to call the receptionist to bring us some cloth to cover the window. And guess what she brought us? A pillow case!! Sound a little funny, but the pillow case can only cover half the window. Jason had to help me stuff the sides of the pillow case into the hinges of the window. The uncovered portion was done by The Creative Me! Jason took out some facial towels while I took some plasters to attach the towels to the window! ( I was stingy with my plasters and since Jason said he brought plasters, I used his instead! But I was nice enough to use only 1! I helped him saved afew! Ops!)
Well, 5 days had passed and our Germany Part 1 of the trip is approaching an end. Very soon, we would be in Norway for our Summer exchange! I was half excited and half nervous. Wonder how things will be in Norway.. Havent seen King for almost a week. Cant wait to share all the memories with him. After bathing, I called King using Jason's skype. It was rather embarassing, had to chat in front of them. So I tried to keep my words as little as possible. Guilty for the daily dose of ice-creams and chocolates, I did my yoga and went to bed.. Zzzz
No comments:
Post a Comment