Monday, 6 April 2009

Proud to be a Singaporean

One week after my arrival at home, I couldnt help feeling contented that I'm born a Singaporean.

I love the city, my home!

Days in YiXing were rather bad. We worked 7 days a week, starting our day at 830am and ending at approximately 9pm. Sometimes, we left client's place at 7pm but chances were rare. Despite tough times, we never missed the chance to enjoy ourselves. We took our chance to travel down to the city for foot massages and late suppers during times when we ended work earlier. Before Lao Bans left, we also went KTV to celebrate. We had lots of their 52% alocohol content white wine during dinners with the big boss. Towards the end of the engagement, client "encouraged" us to take time off for sight seeing. I guess their staff were tired too. To the extent that they forced us to take time off. We were not persistent enough too, cos we were all too tired..

The Chinese love their history. Everyone seems to be well-versed with historical events. Unlike me, who cant remember my own country's.. On each meals, our conversation revolves around their history. I would be nodding my head and smiling together with me team mates. Their food can be rather oily and salty, but their rice is nice and fragrant. I love their claim-to-fame "wu mi fan" which is black in colour. According to them, a wife who brought food to his prisoner husband had think of ways to prevent the officials from confiscating the food that she brought. Therefore. she would go to the wild to pick herbs to be cooked with the rice. Although the rice had a distinctive black colour, it tasted nice, somewhat like our glutinuous rice used for dumplings. It remained my favourite throughout the trip.

Indeed, life in a city is so much different from life in town. Our behaviour at the Westin Hotel in Shanghai certainly made us look like we were 'mountain tortoise'. We "WOW" at the teeny weeny bit of nice things we see in the hotel. We screamed in AWE when we entered the hotel room. We jumped in joy when we knew that decent scrambled eggs and omelettes were served during breakfast. Being deprived from all the luxury, we now doubled the dosage of what we lost during the past few weeks.

Our short Shanghai trip wasnt fruitful. I thought I could have done lots of shopping there. Apparently, nothing there appeals to me. In the end, I bought nothing but tons of green tea pocky back. Their green tea pocky is really nice and I wonder why it's not sold in Singapore.

Now that I'm back in Singapore, I started appreciating the environment I was borned in. No natural disasters, clean environement, fine weather. I'm proud to be a Singaporean. :)

No comments: