Tuesday, 26 June 2007

First day in Germany

Alright! I spent my first day in Berlin. We decided to start our day with a visit to Schloss Charlottenburg, a palace once severly damaged by bombing of WW II, now restored to its formal glory. On our way to the palace, there was a long walkway where we could stroll on a sunny afternoon. Saw a few posh cars driving pass & mini-coopers too! (the sudden urge to knock someone on the head but that someone wasnt around!) We paid for a day pass where we could visit all the palace within a day. Spent a long day in Charlottenburg, listening to the history of the palace. Some of the rooms were really well-decorated with rococo. But I got a little bored after exploring the long palace. I though the garden was very nice. If I never hear wrongly over the recorded guide, the garden is built differently from the other palaces.
We finally ended exploring Charlottenburg at 330pm. Was so hungry by then, we walked really fast down the walkway in search for food. Found a bakery shop which sell sandwiches! You could have seen how relieved I was! But to our disappointment, the sandwich was cold & hard. Not appetising at all. That was my first meal in Germany. So sad, right? Along the way, I saw an ice-cream palor and bought a melon cone for EUR 70cent! The ice-cream wasnt at all satisfising - sweet & artificial!
Our next station was to the shopping area ("Orchard Road" of Berlin). Went to the biggest shopping mall "KADEWE" to shop. There were many nice shops along the way, & I couldnt help stepping into those stores. Poor Jason had to accompany me. But it wasnt that bad for him after all since (according to him), he got to look at the other girls while I do my shopping. So less guilt for me! hahaha.. On the way to KADEWE, we saw this nice church stucked in the middle of the shopping street. Kinda strange, but "unique" would be a more appropriate word. Nice, isnt it? Heh. Now I must H.L. my collection for the day! Bought a Mango berms at EUR19.95 & a pair of H&M ear-rings which were like EUR2.90?!! The berms were not really cheap but I was quite contented with it. :p The next stop was to the Berlin Wall. Had a hard time looking for it.. THis was what we did while we were searching for the long stretch of wall.. Haha..
The Berlin Wall, from what I understand, was used to separate the East Berlin from the West during the Cold War. (King must be damn proud of Ling, right?) Today, the remains of the Berlin Wall have been decorated with Graffiti! Some of them were really nice, they must have held a competition over it! Walking on the route along the wall, I felt chilly all over. The Berliners must have gone through thick & thin..
We went Friedrich Strasse after a stroll near Berlin Wall. By then it as rather late already. I remember it was passed dinner time. Most of the shops were closed and we had to walk rather long to look for food. In the end, we settled with pizza! The funghi pizza which we ordered were yummy! I gobbled down the food while Jason had his share slowly. It was rather embarassing but who cares? I was really HUNGRY!!! ;P

In the end we had to give up visiting Brandenburg gate and the Charlie checkpoint because we were too tired and it was getting late. We missed out quite alot as Ah Neo says that part is the nicest to visit.. I will go again! ;)

No comments: